Permanent Residence in Canada

Please consider attending virtual or in-person drop-in advising as it is the fastest way to reach us and easier to manage additional questions that we may have for each other.

Find the next times and dates for in-person or virtual drop-in advising.

Upon graduation from York University, international students have many options for their future plan:

According to the Canadian Bureau of International Education’s national survey, about 50% of the international student population is interested in becoming permanent residents upon their graduation in Canada. Some benefits of being a permanent resident in Canada include, but are not limited to:

Among all the permanent residence categories, the two federal programs, Canadian Experience Class (CEC) and Federal Skilled Worker (FSW), are the most common pathways for international graduates. Applications for both programs are through Express Entry (EE). For an introduction to each program, please view the immigration tutorial videos page.

To qualify for CEC and FSW, you will have to obtain a minimum one year of qualifying work experience. To determine the skill level for your work experience, please check out the website of National Occupational Class

Major differences between CEC and FSW

The chart below provides the basic selection criteria for the CEC and FSW.

Express Entry   Point System Education Requirement Work Experience Language Ability Job Offer Applicable To
Canadian Experience Class (CEC) No Not mandatory, but is needed to gain higher score in Express Entry Minimum 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada

TEER 0 or 1 job: CLB/NCLC 7

TEER 2 or 3 job: CLB/NCLC 5

Not required. More points with LMIA approved job offer International students who graduated in Canada: Undergraduate & Graduate
Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Yes, 67 out of 100 Not mandatory, but is needed to gain higher score in Express Entry Minimum 1 year of continuous skilled work experience Minimum CLB7 Not required. More points with LMIA approved job offer Foreign nationals outside of Canada, or Foreign workers in Canada

Useful Tips for Express Entry Profile

  • Before you establish the Express Entry profile, please ensure that you:
    • Have obtained the equivalent of one year of work experience at the qualifying skill level
    • Have obtained your language test results
    • Have obtained an ECA for any foreign education credentials, if applicable
  • Complete a self-assessment before setting up a profile in the Express Entry pool.
  • The higher your points in CRS, the greater your chance of receiving an invitation.
  • Your Express Entry profile is valid for one year. Within the year, you can update your qualifications in your profile unlimited times, and potentially get a new ranking (more points).
  • You should have your documents prepared in advance. Once you receive an invitation to apply, you will only have 60 days to complete your application for permanent residency.
  • Improving your language test results is the only way to boost your Express Entry points in a short period of time.

Check out the York International Events Calendar for upcoming permanent residency events.