We know there is a lot to get ready, so we’ve made a list of some essential things for international students as you begin preparations to start your studies. In addition to the list below, we recommend you inform yourself of any other Faculty or program responsibilities/requirements you’ll need to fulfill before the start of term.
- Set up your Passport York. Your Passport York gives you access to a wide range of computing resources and services.
- Access your York U email. Make sure to log in to your York U email. You’ll need your @my.yorku.ca email to access your University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) card.
- Update your student profile with your York U email. Use the Student Portal to update your profile with your @my.yorku.ca email address.
- Get your YU Card. Apply for your YU Card online!
- Enrol in your courses. International students must be enrolled in a full-time course load to meet their study permit conditions. Make sure you’re enrolled in at least 9 credits each term (not including the summer term).
- Connect with an Academic Advisor. Academic Advisors can help with course selection or enrolment and other academic questions.
- Gather your documents for entry to Canada.
- Prepare to go through customs at your Port of Entry. Watch this webinar to understand what to expect at the Canadian border.
- Check out our Study Permit Delays info if you think you might not receive your study permit on time for the start of Winter term courses.