Virtual drop-in advising is the fastest way to speak with our immigration specialists who can help answer your quick questions regarding study permits, work permits, visas, SIN etc.
How does virtual drop-in advising work?
No appointment is needed. Virtual drop-in advising is conducted as a group advising session where each student will have an opportunity to ask their question. It is first-come, first-served, so you may need to wait in line.
If your question requires additional time or privacy, the advisor(s) may ask to speak with you 1:1 at the end of the session or they will set up a separate appointment with you.
What can I do to prepare for virtual drop-in advising?
Please have your student number and study permit document with you for reference.
Review York International’s Immigration Application Resource Page.
Virtual drop-in advising schedule
Tuesday and Thursday at 9:00 am – 11:00 am EST*
Wednesday: 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm EST*
*Virtual drop-in advising hours are subject to changes or until further notice.
Visit the York International Events Calendar to access the zoom link during virtual drop-in advising hours.
HOW TO JOIN QLESS
- Join the Virtual Kiosk OR download the app on your smartphone from Google Play or the iTunes App Store.
- Open the app and select "York International”
- Join the appropriate queue:
- If you are a degree seeking student, join the Undergraduate & Graduate Students queue.
- If you are completing post-graduate studies at the School of Continue Studies, please join that queue.
- Select the topic you are seeking more information about.
What You Need to Know When Accessing Drop-in International Student and Immigration Advising via QLESS:
After signing up to join the queue you will receive updates regarding the wait time for your appointment at various intervals. You will also receive notifications to prepare for your appointment when your turn to meet with an International Student Advisor at 200 York Lanes is approaching.
Appointments are offered on a drop-in basis and wait times will be determined by the number of students in queue. The queue will close for the day once it reaches capacity. You may try logging back into QLESS after a few minutes to check if the queue has decreased and appointment slots have become available.
QLESS HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday: 1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. EST
Wednesday and Friday: 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. EST
The York International office is located on the Keele Campus inside York Lanes Mall on the second floor, room 200.
If you cannot attend drop-in advising and require an appointment, please email email@example.com with the following information:
- In the subject line write "Request for advising appointment” and include your student number.
- In the body of the email include:
- Your full name
- Your student number
- Whether you are currently inside or outside of Canada
- The expiry date of your current study permit, the visa sticker in your passport (if applicable) and the expiry date of your passport
- Why you cannot attend drop-in advising
- Please explain what your issue/questions are about in as much detail as possible
An advisor will respond to your email with further details about how to book an appointment to speak with us.
If you have general questions or concerns not related to advising or immigration matters, please contact our office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. These concerns might involve:
- Inquiries about emergency bursary applications;
- Inquiries about upcoming or past events and/or programming (i.e. International Student Orientation, cultural events, off-campus events, etc.);
- Inquiries about volunteering or working at York International;
- Other general questions.
Do you have a question about your University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)? Please review information and options to contact our UHIP administrator.