A study permit authorizes you to study in Canada legally. International students will receive their Study Permits in the form of a paper document which will usually be attached into your passport at the Canadian port of entry.
- Study permits will only be issued to applicants studying at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). York University is a designated learning institution: York University's Designated Learning Institute (DLI) Number is O19361109242 (O stands for Ontario).
- Ensure that you have entered your Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Universal Client ID (UCI) number onto your student record (click “Update my international student information” from My Student Records on My Online Services). This will enable York International to assist you as necessary.
Steps for Online Study Permit Extension
- Register for an IRCC secure account here
- Complete the questionnaire based on your current situation, and choose the "Study Permit" option when prompted.
- Fill out the Application Form IMM5709, scan and upload all other required documents.
- Pay the application fee CAD$150 as instructed here. Please note that the application fee can only be paid online with credit card.
Tips for Extending Your Study Permit Online
- Save a hard or soft copy of the application form and all documents for your reference in case IRCC requests additional documents.
- Your incomplete online application can only be saved on your IRCC secure account for 60 days. You must complete and submit within this period.
- IMM5709 has to be validated before being uploaded to your IRCC secure account
- As of December 3, 2019, all applicants — including those in Canada — must submit fingerprints and photos (biometrics). If you have not given biometrics in the last 10 years, find out where to give biometrics.
- When you are applying to extend your study permit you can also apply for your co-op work permit at the same time (if your program requires it).
For more information about Study Permits, feel free to check out the Immigration Tutorial Videos page.