Why YorkU Summer Abroad
- Learn about a new culture, country, develop and enhance language skills or try and discover something entirely new – the world is your classroom!
- Take courses for 4-6 weeks during York University’s Summer Term (May-August) and earn between 3.0 – 6.0 credits that will count toward your degree at York.
- Relatively small classes (between 12-20 students on average) are taught by York professors.
- Comprehensive supports: information sessions, accommodations, mandatory study and cultural field trips are arranged and coordinated by YorkU staff. Pre-departure training and risk management supports are available to help you prepare for and stay safe during your trip. Funding supports are available to all participating students once safety abroad procedures are completed
- Expand your world view, appreciate diversity and learn from perspectives of peoples from different cultures.
- Develop future ready skills as adaptability, flexibility, intercultural communication and working in teams.
- Make friends and build your global network!
All students accepted to participate in YorkU Summer Abroad courses or programs are required to complete our Safety Abroad procedures, including pre-departure training co-delivered by faculty course instructor and York International. Once this is completed, students are eligible to receive York International Mobility Award (YIMA).
York International will organize the pre-departure sessions per summer abroad course or program.
Overview of summer abroad costs:
- Tuition paid to York University through Registrar's Office. 6.0 Credit YorkU Courses Abroad are eligible for OSAP funding. Click here for more information.
- Program Fees paid to York International – include accommodation, study and cultural trips, local transport, and other hosted activities
- Students are responsible for flight, insurance, meals, and other personal and miscellaneous costs
York University has financial support available to help offset the costs of your program abroad. Please visit our funding page to learn more about the York International Mobility Award (YIMA), our prestigious endowed scholarships, and external awards available to students
To enroll in our summer abroad programs, you need to complete the following steps. This information applies to York University students. Students from other universities check the section for Visiting Students.
Step 1: Attend an information session
WE HOLD SEVERAL INFORMATION SESSIONS IN DECEMBER 2022
All students are welcome to attend. At the session, we will present an overview of our Summer Abroad Programs, and you will have the opportunity to meet some of the program instructors and ask them course-related questions. We will also discuss costs and requirements (if any).
Attending an information session for each program is recommended but not mandatory. Not attending a session is not an excuse for missed deadlines and/or requirements.
The following is a list of the dates and times of the sessions. You only need to attend one of them. Register in advance.
Step 2: Enrollment Process
The cost to participate in any Summer Abroad Program includes:
Amount varies, whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student, domestic or international student (refer to the Student Financial Services website for more information)
To cover all in-country transportation, accommodations, as well as the activities that are part of the Summer Abroad Programs. Accommodations include choices of dorms or hotels, depending on different destinations
Flight Fare & Travel Insurance*
York International (YI) provides an award to all participant York students to help cover fare costs. All participants are required to have a travel insurance. Students must register directly with GuardMe.
The program fees for 2023 are as follow (estimated in Canadian dollars, will confirm after student application deadline):
- GL/SP 4706 6.0 Hispanic Geopoetics. A Field Trip to Geography, Identity, Literature and Art
Santa Marta/ Colombia
Winter Semester February 18-26
CAD800 (to be confirmed)
- FA/FILM 3375 3.0 Learning from Los Angeles: History of the Image and the Image of History
Los Angeles/ United States
Summer Semester May 30 - June 30
CAD4200 (to be confirmed)
- THEA 2000/3000/4000 3.0 Independent Production Practicum - Prague Quadrennial
Prague/ Czech Republic
Summer Semester June 5 – 20
CAD1900 (to be confirmed)
- GL/SP 3100 Advanced Spanish – Summer Abroad
Summer Semester June 11-23
CAD1850 (to be confirmed)
- THEA 2000/3000/4000 Independent Production Practicum - Edinburgh Fringe
Summer Semester July 20 - August 29
CAD3500 (to be confirmed)
- TECL 3033 International Entrepreneurship Immersion
Haifa, Tel Aviv & Jerusalem/ Israel
Summer Semester August 8 -27
Program fee (to be confirmed)
* York University does not make flight nor travel insurance arrangements for students. For each course, you will be given specific information as to when to arrive and where will you be picked up and dropped off. Any activities or plans made outside our course program are the student’s responsibility.
Save your spot
A $500 non-refundable deposit per program must be submitted by the deadlines listed below. All courses are capped, and spots are considered based on the course instructor’s decision.
- To pay for the deposit ($500 per course, non-refundable*) between now and the deadline date, you can book a time with us and pay (debit or credit card) by sending email to Sharon Sammy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Summer Abroad||March 2023|
*Unless you are not selected for the summer program.
Enroll in courses
Enroll in the course(s) through the REM system. Enrollment in these courses is restricted. Note that you will not be able to enroll in any course unless you have been approved to participate and have paid the deposit. Summer registration starts at the beginning of March each year, you will not be able to add any Summer course before that time.
Fill in the Application Form. We will collect information from you so as to help you arrange your accommodation and transportation needed during your stay. You should fill out the application form together with your deposit by the deadline listed above.
Submit the program fee
The remainder of the program fee must be paid by:
|Summer Abroad||April 2023|
To calculate the remainder owed, you need to deduct the deposit from the initial program fee.
Dropping Courses: We take your deposit as a commitment to your participation. If you withdraw from the course(s) after paying the remainder of the program fee, the activities and items for which we have pre-paid on your behalf and counting on your participation will be deducted from the program fee.
Step 3: Prepare and pack for your Trip
Attend the mandatory pre-departure session
You must attend this session, as we will discuss logistical travel details and give specific instructions for your trip. The pre-departure session will be organized 1-2 months before your trip. Invitation emails will be sent out to participants.
Complete and submit the pre-departure forms
With the information provided by the Safety Abroad Manager from York International and once you have gathered all your travel details (flight info, itinerary, travel insurance information, etc.), complete Travel Registry and Informed Consent Form. This is a mandatory step and needs to be completed before the pre-departure session.
Please verify whether you need a travel visa with your passport. You have to do the research on the visa requirements of countries through websites of Consulates or Embassies. Please make sure you have your visa ready before your departure.
Students are required to have the travel insurance approved by York University. Students must register directly with GuardMe.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions, and continue to check back to see our other courses offered.
Shirley Lam, International Programs Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org