Health Insurance and Health Care


This section will review mandatory health insurance known as UHIP, supplemental health insurance, medical facilities such as clinics and hospitals, and accessing counseling.

UHIP Drop-in Hours:

  • Monday: 2pm-4pm
  • Thursday: 2pm-4pm

Location: York International, 200 York Lanes (2nd Floor)


Health Insurance Overview

All international students at York are covered by two types of health insurance plans: General Health Insurance (UHIP) and a Supplementary Health Insurance Plan (see below).

Insurance Plan

Who is covered

What type of  insurance

General health insurance:
University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)
  • Graduate and Undergraduate international students who are registered as active in a degree program
  • Exchange students who are registered as active
  • Visiting scholars
  • Post-doctoral fellows
UHIP pays for eligible hospital services, physician services, osteopath and podiatrist services, ambulance, diagnostic, laboratory and x-ray services, dental surgery when performed in a hospital, out-of-province/Canada emergency care.
Supplemental Health Insurance Undergraduate students: York Federation of Students (YFS) Health Plan Supplemental insurance covers drug prescriptions, vision and dental care.
Graduate Student Association GSA Health Plan or CUPE 3903 Health Plan (see below)


Insurance Plans: University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) and Supplemental Health Insurance Plans

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

What is UHIP?

UHIP is the University Health Insurance Plan in place for international students and others who are not covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). The UHIP insurer is Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada (Sun Life). If you have a smartphone, Sun Life insurance offers an app that allows you to submit and track your claims from your phone. Your UHIP record will also be available online at SunLife’s website.

UHIP pays for eligible hospital services, physician services, osteopath and podiatrist services, ambulance, diagnostic, laboratory and x-ray services, dental surgery when performed in a hospital, out-of-province/Canada emergency care and repatriation at levels comparable to those received by Ontario residents under the OHIP. For more details visit UHIP website.

How much do I pay for UHIP?

The charge for UHIP coverage can vary based on the length of your coverage and the number of your dependents and the length of their coverage.

View this year's UHIP premiums.

To enroll your dependents, e-mail

How do I print my UHIP card?

  1. Activate your York U email account, if you haven’t done so already. Go to this link for instructions.
  2. Register on-line with Sun Life
    • Go to
    • Below the Log in Bar, click on ‘Register Now’
    • Click on ‘Register – Benefits Plan’
    • Enter your date of birth
    • Enter the country: ‘Canada’
    • Enter the postal code: ‘M3J 1P3’
    • Enter the policy number: ‘050150’
    • Enter your member ID: ‘YU-followed by your York U Student Number’ (e.g. YU212121211)
    • Click ‘Continue’ and choose your log in information (Numerical Access ID or your York U email address) and click ‘Submit’. You will now see a card with a 12-digit number on the left hand side of the screen. This is your Access ID only, not your health card. Print or save your Access ID card.
  3. Check your York U email for your temporary password from Sun Life within 24-48 hours of registering, otherwise it will expire and your access may be blocked. Use the temporary password to complete your registration and print your card.

How do I use a claim form?

Complete the claim form when you pay for healthcare services. Print out a claim form.  Fill out sections 1, 2 and 3 and have the healthcare provider fill out sections 4 and 5. Mail the original form and receipts to Sun Life within 12 months of the date of service (address on the form). Keep copies for your own records.

Does UHIP cover dental and vision care and prescriptions?

UHIP may cover some of these items if they are part of treatment during hospitalization. Visit the UHIP website for details. Vision, dental and prescriptions costs are covered by supplemental student plans as listed in section B below.

Can I extend my UHIP after I graduate or finish my exchange?

Yes! You can extend your UHIP for the term you are graduating in. If you are graduating in October, you can extend your UHIP for the fall term until the end of December. Please email for more information. Students who graduated in June cannot apply for an extension.

Do I still have UHIP if I withdraw from school?

No, your coverage is cancelled from the day you withdraw. However, if you withdraw due to illness or injury, or take a leave of absence, you may be eligible to extend your coverage. E-mail for more information.

Can I opt-out of UHIP?

UHIP coverage is mandatory unless Sun Life grants you an exemption to opt-out. Exemptions are granted when the coverage provided by your plan is equivalent to the coverage provided by UHIP.

Some plans have been reviewed by Sun Life and deemed approved or non-approved—check these lists before applying.

Pre-Approved Plans

You are pre-approved to opt-out if you have one of the plans listed below. Drop off a copy of your proof of coverage at 200 York Lanes, Keele Campus or send a scan of it with your name and student number to

  • Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)
  • Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) Health Care Plan
  • Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE) Health Care Plan
  • Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
  • International Council for Canadian Studies Plan
  • National Insurance Office for Social Insurance Abroad (Norway)
  • World University Service of Canada (WUSC) Health Care Plan
  • Embassy of Kuwait
  • Interim Federal Health Care Plan
  • Health Economic Administration, HELFO Abroad
  • Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau - Cowan Insurance
  • Libyan Plan
  • Schlumberger Plan
  • Fletcher Allen
  • Other Canadian provincially-issued insurance

Non-Approved Plans

If you are currently covered under one of the pre-approved plans listed below, please provide valid proof of this coverage to the UHIP Office at York International.

Other Plans

If your plan does not appear on the non-approved link, you may be eligible to opt-out. Print the form.  Complete sections 1, 2 and 3. Mail copies to your other plan provider and to Sun Life (address on the exemption form).

My UHIP is cancelled. How do I get a refund?

Complete a refund form. Drop it off with supporting documents at 200 York Lanes, Keele Campus or send a scan of it and the supporting documents to right away. You may be eligible for a refund if you have paid for a full year of UHIP coverage and you:

  • Have withdrawn or are deregistered from your program of study before March 1, or
  • Have completed your program of study before March 1, or
  • Have OHIP for part or all of the current academic year, or
  • Leave the country for fall or winter term (summer term does not qualify), or
  • Have received an exemption from Sun Life (including pre-approved exemptions).

Where can I get more information?

UHIP at York International
Tel: 416-736-5177416-736-5177 Fax: 416-736-5176
200 York Lanes, Keele Campus, York University

Sun Life
Tel: 1-866-500-UHIP1-866-500-UHIP (8447)

UHIP website

Health Insurance for Sponsored Students

The following international students do not participate in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) because they have alternative health insurance coverage:

Note: UHIP is regulated by the Council of Ontario Universities. It is in effect at all Ontario universities (except the University of Windsor). Universities cannot alter or waive its fees or conditions. Information is subject to change without notice.

DISCLAIMER: Every attempt has been made to ensure the information contained herein is valid at the time of posting. York International, however, reserves the right to make changes, corrections and/or improvements at any time and without notice. No clerical or mechanical error made by a University - or any of the parties to the UHIP insurance contract - will invalidate insurance otherwise in force, or continue insurance otherwise terminated under the policy’s term and conditions.

Supplementary Health Insurance Plans

Several supplementary health plans cover medical expenses not included in UHIP, such as prescription drugs.

Below is a list of all of York’s Student Health Insurance Plans. Learn which plans protect you (and your family, where applicable).


  • York Federation of Students (YFS) Health Plan   –  If you are an undergraduate student, this plan offers supplemental health care benefits, including coverage for prescription drugs. Every eligible student is automatically charged for the YFS health plan on their student account in September.

Graduate Supplementary Health Insurance

  • Graduate Student Association (GSA) Health Plan  – If you are a full-time graduate student who is not a part of the CUPE 3903 Union, this health insurance plan provides supplemental coverage for vision care, dental, and prescription drugs.

Note: If the health benefits enrollment form is submitted by September 30, members of this plan are retroactively covered to September 1. Enrollment forms may be found here or at the CUPE office (143 Atkinson)

Accessing Health Care: Hospitals, Clinics, Pharmacies, and Dentists

Where do I go for medical help?

In an emergency, telephone 9-1-1.
In a non-emergency, telephone Telehealth Ontario 1-866-797-0000, or visit a medical clinic.

A complete list of clinics that readily accept UHIP can be found at this website.

Closest hospital to Keele Campus

Humber River Regional Hospital - Finch Avenue Site
2111 Finch Ave West,
Toronto, Ontario

Closest to hospital to Glendon Campus

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
2075 Bayview Ave, Room A1 01, Toronto (north of Eglinton Ave. East)
(5-10 minute walk south from the Glendon Campus)

Other Medical Clinics

Some clinics, such as the one in York Lanes on Keele campus, charge fees not covered by health care plans. A list of clinics that do not charge fees to use UHIP is given below, or download Sunlife/UHIP’s app to determine the nearest location.

Hospital for Sick Children
555 University Avenue,
Toronto, Ontario

Bay College Medical & Lockwood Diagnostic
790 Bay St., Suite 108, Toronto (at College Street)

Doctor's Office, The- Jane & Finch Mall
3869 Jane Street (Downsview area)

Dufferin Family Care Centre
51 Gerry Fitzgerald Drive (near Steeles & Dufferin)

Sheppard Beecroft Medical Clinic
48 Sheppard Ave, West, North York (Yonge & Sheppard)
416-222-1477416-222-1477 (Call for an appointment.)

Rouge Valley Health System
Centennary Site

2867 Ellesmere Rd.
Toronto, Ontario

Brampton Civic Hospital - William Osler Health Centre
2100 Bovaird Drive East,
Brampton, Ontario

Medical Services on Keele Campus

Appletree Medical Centre is located in York Lanes and has doctors and  nurses on staff to assist with any non-emergency illness. Their phone number is 647-722-2370647-722-2370

York Lanes Dental Office is located in York Lanes and can address any dental issues that you have. Their phone number is 416.736.5038416.736.5038

York Lanes Pharmacy is located in York Lanes and can fill your prescriptions and sells over the counter medication and health-related products. Their phone number is 416-736-5272416-736-5272.

Counselling & Disability Services

Counselling & Disability Services at York

Counselling and Disability Services (CDS) provides a comprehensive package of psychological and academic support services to members of the York Community. CDS' services are open to all students registered at the York as well as faculty and staff.

Included among the services provided are personal counselling (individual, group, and couples counselling as appropriate), crisis response and support, assistance in the development of learning skills, specialized support to students with learning, mental health, physical, sensory or medical disabilities, and various consultative and outreach activities to the York University community.

The use of services at CDS is purely voluntary and CDS conducts assessments and clinical interventions only at the request of the primary individuals involved. Staff and interns take all possible precautions to maintain client confidentiality and guard against the disclosure of personal information unless informed, written consent has been obtained from the client. (For more information, please see CDS' Privacy Statement).

CDS is situated in different locations on campus, with their main reception in Room N110 of the Bennett Centre for Student Services and can be reached by telephone at 416-736-5297 during regular operating hours.

Please note: Glendon Students are directed to Counselling & Disability Services, Glendon site in Room 111A Glendon Hall. Call 416-487-6709 for further information about CDS, Glendon site services.

For a complete list of services available to you, visit YorkU’s Counselling and Disability Services website.

York University Psychology Clinic (YUPC)

Located in the Behavioural Sciences Building, the York University Psychology Clinic offers private and group cognitive-behaviour therapy sessions and other psychological services that may benefit students.   Visit YUPC's website for full details.

NOTE: Some of the fees for YUPC's services are reimbursable through a student's extended health plan.

Online Resources

Good2Talk is a toll-free post-secondary student mental health helpline. Free, bilingual services in English and French, confidential and anonymous, Good2Talk offers professional counselling and information and referrals for mental health, addictions and well-being to post-secondary students in Ontario 24/7/365. It is supported by the Ontario Government.

Speak to someone in your language

If you are needing to speak to someone in your language, UHIP will be able to assist. Please contact York International and we will connect you with a mental health worker who speaks your language.