In addition to our YorkU Summer Abroad Courses, students can participate in the following summer school programs through a Letter of Permission (LOP). Please note: to ensure your Letter of Permission request is processed in time for the Spring/Summer term, applications should be sent at least six weeks prior to the first day of enrolment.
All students registered and selected to go on Summer Abroad programs are eligible for York International Mobility Award (YIMA). Visit the YIMA page.
The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) is delighted to be selected as the host of the next Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) Summer School.
The ‘Sustainable Cities and Communities’, the Summer School will take place from 1 to 9 July 2018, bringing together 50 students from ACU member universities from around the world to Hong Kong for a week of expert lectures, field trips, networking, social events and group work. Participants will have the opportunity to share examples of innovative best practice in sustainable city development and discuss how to set a new urban agenda in their home countries.
Applications will open in November 2017 and should be submitted to the ACU. Interested students should stay tuned for registration details on the ACU website.
NEW! Participate in two ISS sessions in July and August 2018.
All sessions include: academic studies that will be accompanied by a range of activities, events and field trips that immerse students in the international environment at the ISS as well as the unique East-meets-West character that epitomizes Hong Kong. The ISS will be held at the CUHK main campus in Shatin, Hong Kong. All courses will be taught in English (with the exception of Chinese Language courses) by outstanding CUHK and visiting academic faculty from overseas universities.
24 June to 1 August 2018
At the ISS July session, courses will be offered in the following areas:
Business & Management
Chinese Language (Cantonese & Putonghua)
Environment, Science & Technology
Humanities & Social Science
An optional four-day Beijing tour at the end of the July Session will allow students to explore the Chinese capital.
3 August to 25 August 2018
At the ISS August session,
Four levels of Putonghua (Mandarin) courses will be offered from beginner to intermediate levels.
For more information, visit their website. Please note: Applications will open on 9 February 2018 and will close on 30 April (July Session) and 31 May (August Session) respectively.
NEW! Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) are pleased to inform that the Summer Undergraduate Research Programme (SURP).
SURP provides an opportunity for students to undertake research attachments for eight weeks at CUHK during the summer. Students will conduct research under the supervision of a CUHK faculty member and earn three credits upon successful completion of the programme.
Date: 24 June–19 August 2018 (8 weeks)
Fees: No tuition will be charged. Participants will only have to pay a small amount of administration fee (HK$1,650, equivalent to US$212) and accommodation fee (HK$7,550, equivalent to US$968) for on-campus housing (optional).
Research Projects Areas (click here for a full/detailed list):
Institute of Ageing
Online application is now open until 28 February 2018. Application results will be announced in April 2018.
NEW! Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is excited to offer their International Summer Exchange Program (ISP) from 19 June to 13 August 2018.
ISP 2018 will offer a wide range of credit-bearing courses and organize local excursions and activities for students to gain insight into the Asian culture. Students can choose courses from:
- School of Science
- School of Engineering
- School of Business and Management
- School of Humanities and Social Science
- Interdisciplinary Programs Office
NEW! Summer Global Seminars Program presented by the School of Humanities and Social Science (SHSS).
The seminars will take place from: June 22 to July 15, 2018.
Program Highlights Include:
- Understanding China, 1700-2000: A Data-Analytic Approach (3-credit) taught by James Lee, the Chair Professor and Dean of the School of Humanities and Social Science, HKUST.
- Research Methods in the Social Sciences (3-credit) taught by Professor Cameron Campbell, Professor, Social Science, Associate Dean, Humanities and Social Science, HKUST and Changjiang Scholar, Central China Normal University.
- Weber, China, and the West (3-credit) taught by Professor Krishan Kumar from University of Virginia.
- Ecology and Society (3-credit) taught by Professor Frederick H. Damon from University of Virginia.
- Hong Kong in the World (2-credit) taught by Professor Katya Makarova from University of Virginia.
Please note: a tuition fee waiver is available, and free on-campus accommodation available while quota last. There are also abundant extracurricular activities provided.
NEW! NTU Singapore is excited to offer the NTU GEM Trailblazer Summer Programme. The GEM programme is tailored to prepare global talents to be future-ready for the 21st century, and designed to be rigorous yet exciting.
The programme offers two experiences:
- Summer (6 week): June 25 to August 3, 2018
- Summer (4 week): July 2 to July 27, 2018
Students should apply online by April 20, 2018 and email email@example.com expressing their interest.
NEW! Sophia University is excited to offer two summer programs:
- East Asian Studies and Japanese Language
This program is 8 weeks long and begins June 4, 2018 (more information here)
Course fee: 210,000 Yen
- Japanese Language
This program is 4 weeks long and begins July 2, 2018.
Course fee: 190,000 Yen
For more information about costs, course details and dates, please visit the links attached. You can also contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
NEW! Beihang University will hold their International Summer School from July 7 to August 3. The summer school is intended for currently enrolled undergraduate students.
Interested applicants should register and apply online from January 8 to April 8, 2018.
Please note: students will have to upload student certificates and transcripts provided by their home university confirming their full-time undergraduate student identity valid to (no later than) the end of August, 2018.
NEW! Meiji University will hold two unique short-term programs (in English) for international students in summer 2018 :
- Cool Japan Summer Program (E-MAIL: email@example.com)
- Date: July 20 (Fri) - July 31 (Tue), 2018
- For undergraduate or graduate-level university students
- Venue: Meiji University Surugadai Campus (Tokyo)
- Program Fee: 150,000JPY
- Language: English
- Optional accommodation package is available upon request
- Must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program as of July 20, 2018.
- Must be 18+ years old as of July 20, 2018.
- Must be able to attend courses and give presentations in English, and submit an assignment paper after the program.
- Must attend all of the program activities from July 20 (Fri) to July 31 (Tue), 2018.
- Law in Japan (E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Date: Session 1, July 2 - July 13, 2018 OR Session 2, July 30 - August 9, 2018 *Select one of the sessions
- Venue: Meiji University Surugadai Campus (Tokyo)
- Program Fee: 87,000 yen (*This includes tuition fee, travel expenses for field trips, educational materials, welcome & farewell parties, course completion certificates and the registration fee. Please note: Airfare, travel expenses to/from airport, accommodation, meal, transportation cost and other expenses during your stay in Tokyo are not included.)
- Language: English
- Overseas university students or degree holders from an accredited overseas university
- Must be 18 years old or over as of July 2/ July 30, 2018
- No previous knowledge of Japanese Law / Language is required, we welcome participants from both law and non-law backgrounds.
- Japanese Language Program
- Date: 17 July – 2 August, 2018 (17 days)
- Program content:
- Japanese Language Class (45 min.× 42 classes)
- Field Study/Activity (4.5 hours and 3 hours. 7.5 hours in total.)
- Program Levels:
- Introductory Class: For students who have studied Hiragana, Katakana and basic expressions (approximately 50 hours of study). *Please study Hiragana, Katakana and Basic Greetings by Meiji University e-learning system (https://e-edu.muc.meiji.jp/contents/japaneseedu/）before joining the program. The Class will be conducted that you have a prior knowledge of Hiragana.
- Beginner Class: For students with very basic knowledge of Japanese, who can read Hiragana and Katakana and understand and use the basic Japanese. JLPT N5 preparatory level.
- Pre-intermediate Class: For students who can understand and use beginner’s level Japanese. JLPT N4 preparatory level.
- Intermediate Class: For students understanding Japanese which is used in everyday situation for a certain degree. JLPT N3 preparatory level.
- Fees: vary, please visit their website here
- Application deadline is March 12 - apply online here.
For more information about each course, visit their websites or email the individual programs.
NEW! Sungkyunkwan University (SKKU) will offer a variety of summer courses to interested students in 2018. With 50 courses taught by 30 distinguished professors from top universities such as the University of Cambridge, Georgia Institute of Technology, Penn State University, and King's College London, students will not only be able deepen their knowledge of the subjects, but also develop various perspectives on current global issues.
Furthermore, more fun and diverse cultural activities have been prepared for students to meet and interact with each other, like a barbecue party, taekwondo experience, and more. A fantastic summer is waiting for you here at SKKU ISS.
Join us this summer vacation and experience everything SKKU and Korea have to offer!
NEW! Southwestern University of Finance and Economics (SWUFE) brings together 80 of the top student ambassadors from throughout the SWUFE global network for an extraordinary 14 day program from July 1st to July 14th, 2018.
During this unique experience SWUFE offers you an authentic ‘taste’ of modern day life in China, a chance to learn more about Chengdu, to foster a better understanding of business innovation and entrepreneurship, and giving you a short but wonderful experience at SWUFE.
As one of China’s leading universities in the fields of finance, economics and management, SWUFE is centrally located within China. The university is based in Chengdu, the capital city of Sichuan province, known internationally for its rich and culturally significant history, rapid internationalization, unique Sichuan foods, and being the home of the giant panda. Through this event we will get the special chance to communicate and learn from each other and also make a few new friends along the way.
Applications are due by 30th April, 2018 (apply online here).
NEW! This program allows undergraduate students to take credit-bearing courses and to study alongside Keio students during the second academic quarter at Keio (June – July).
For information/course overview please visit their website.
Please note: applications will open on February 1, 2018 (more info here).
NEW! International Summer School, New Delhi (ISS), will be offering their sixth summer. The school will take place between: Sunday, June 24 and Friday, August 3, 2018.
ISS is an intensive, six-week academic program that brings together students from all over the world as they study and interact with one another over the course of a summer in India’s national capital.
Courses will be held at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), with lectures taking place at the JNU Convention Centre.
The ISS aims at promoting international goodwill and cross-cultural dialogue amongst promising young individuals, developing their potential as future leaders in government, business and civil society; with India as a study model, it offers undergraduate course modules and experiences that introduce the students to a range of issues and debates that are shaping contemporary developing societies.
For more information, and to apply online, please visit their website.
NEW! Fudan University International Summer Session 2018 will provide a 4-week course study (July 11 to Aug. 9, 2018) and cultural experience to students from all over the world. The session offers 20 content courses, 4 Chinese language courses at different levels and 2 PE courses.
The University of Bonn is proud to offer 3 summer programs:
- During the summer, the University of Bonn holds a four-week Summer Course. German language classes (different levels) will take place in the morning and work groups as well as excursions in the afternoon. Make sure you sign up well in advance, as applications always exceed availability. Please click here for details.Please note: A Scholarship is available for Summer 2018! The Summer Course takes place from August 7-31, 2018
- NEW! Summer School on Development Policy in Bonn. The Summer School addresses graduate and postgraduate students from any field of study.The course will take place from July 31 to August 11, 2017, and the program is conducted in English.Please visit their website for more information.
- NEW! Summer School on Intellectual Property in Bonn. The Summer School addresses graduate and postgraduate students from any field of study.It will take place from July 31 to August 11, 2017 and the program is conducted in English.Please visit their website for more information.
Email email@example.com for more details and for information about how to apply.
NEW! Choose from four (4) exciting programs this summer!
- EU Law and Human Rights in a Time of Crisis summer programme.
In the aftermath of Brexit and the election of Donald Trump, the EU faces challenges to its role as a powerful global economy and a promoter of human rights.This unique, credit-bearing summer programme invites participants to engage with and learn from European academics and professionals as we consider how the interplay between corporate practice, economic freedoms and human rights shapes the EU and its relationship with other countries and regions.Key Facts:
- When: June 23-30 2018
- Who: If you're currently a: law, pre-law, social studies, international relations, economics and business major - this course is for you! However, it is open to all undergraduates students.
- Included in your fee: airport transfers/Dublin orientation/all tuition and transcripts/networking events/guest lectures/on-campus single-room accommodation/lunch Monday-Saturday
- Cost: just €850The deadline to apply is March 13th 2018.For more information: see the brochure, visit their website, or find them on Facebook and Twitter (@mujeanmonnet)
- Field Anthropology
This two-week programme introduces students to excavation, community heritage and experimental archaeology at a live dig site in the Irish National Heritage Park, Wexford.Led by experts from the Irish Heritage School and joining Maynooth University students, your students will uncover the archaeology of conquest and colonization.Key Facts:
- When: June 17-30 2018
- Where: Wexford and the Irish National Heritage Park – the Ferrycarrig Ringwork, part of the first wave of Anglo-Norman colonization of Ireland in the twelfth century
- Who: students interested in gaining hands-on field work experience, interested in community heritage and experimental archaeology, and students from anthropology, archaeology, history or Celtic studies backgrounds
- Details: fully-inclusive homestay accommodation / field trips / instruction, excavation supervision and transcripts / airport transfers included at fixed times
- Credit: 7.5 ECTS from our Anthropology Department
- Cost: €1950Deadline: March 16th 2018. For more information and application details click here.
- International Summer School
This four-week programme offers students a wide-variety of 18 courses from 10 departments.
Students typically take two courses (one from stream A, one from stream B). This programme, the most comprehensive summer school in Ireland, includes day trips around Ireland and the opportunity to join us for weekend adventures.
When: July 7 – August 4 2018
Courses:Stream AStream BAnthropology of Ireland - AN303Art and Architecture 1600-1900 - LS20Climate Change - GY313International Business - MN215Creative Writing - EN272Irish Cultural Heritage - ID201Digital Humanities - AFF263Modern Irish Literature - EN254Economics of the EU - EC217Pilgrimage, Travel and Tourism - HY254International Marketing - MN313Social Media - MN329Medieval Society - ID202Structured Programming - CS620Public Speaking - EN010Understanding Conflict - MC102The Great Famine - HY273Women, Gender and Society - GY257
Where: Maynooth University campusWho: students in entering their upper years with a wide variety of academic backgrounds. This programme offers the most opportunity to explore Ireland so students with a keen interest in Ireland and the Irish people are a good fit
Details: on-campus single-room accommodation / breakfasts Monday-Friday / academic and weekend day trips / optional weekend trips / 24-7 staff on call / on-campus activities / all Maynooth University tuition, transcripts and credit
Deadline: March 16th 2018. More Information and application click here.
- Dead Man Do Tell Tales: Forensic Anthropology
This one-week programme in either March or June, learning in a hands-on site environment.
Students will gain practical burial excavation experience (in a controlled staged environment) and have the opportunity to analyse archaeological skeletal remains during laboratory sessions.When: June 10-16 2018Where: Wexford and the Irish National Heritage Park.Who: students interested in forensics, osteoarchaeology, physical and forensic anthropology, archaeology, forensic science and community heritage. This is an ideal complement to our field anthropology school that runs the following weeks.Included: airport transfers/home-stay accommodation with all meals provided/all site excavation materials and associated costs/tuition and transcript/day trip to local historical sitesCost: €1250Deadline: January 12th 2018 for MarchMore Information and Application click here.
- EU Law and Human Rights in a Time of Crisis summer programme.
NEW! The Helsinki Summer School will take place from August 7 to August 23, 2018.
Students can choose from a number of courses (full list found here).
The application deadline is June 26th, 2018, but students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as students are accepted on a first come, first served basis. HSS can only accept a limited number of students to each course.
Please note: students should have completed at least two years of university level studies before applying.
NEW! PH Frieburg is happy to announce their International Summer Studies Program.
- When: June 4 - 29, 2018
- Located in both Freiburg, Germany and Basel, Switzerland
- Courses are conducted in English, and there are 4 courses to choose from
- open to Education/teacher candidates
NEW! Manchester International Summer School (MISS) is a three-week residential course taking place 8 - 27 July 2018.
NEW! The Northumbria International Summer School will take place in July 2018.
The fee for the programme is £2,337.50 and includes tuition, accommodation, on-site orientation, excursions, a full social programme, sport centre membership and the opportunity to transfer academic credit.
Applications are now open for the program, visit their website for more information.
Students will also get to experience a stay in Alnwick Castle for an evening…. not only is staying in a castle cool enough, but this castle was also Hogwarts in the Harry Potter movies, so yes, students who enrol on this program will have a night at Hogwarts