Led by Professor Kenneth Rogers, York University students have the opportunity to explore Los Angeles this summer.
Thursday, March 15, 2023
4:30 - 5:30 p.m.
York Lanes Rm. 242
FILM 3375: Learning from Los Angeles: History of the Image and the Image of History
Course Dates: May 30 - June 30, 2023
Learning from Los Angeles is a study-abroad course that will explore the fantastic histories, myths, and contradictions of the first modern media city, and the image it fashioned for itself. As an experiential field course, it will blend screenings, readings, and field trips to focus on a variety of themes and topics about the city and its histories.
While exploring the gilded legends from the silent to the studio era, the course will simultaneously take a street view of Los Angeles and connect students with the many communities and cultural organizations committed to its unknown and forgotten histories such as the LA Urban Rangers; the LAPD (Los Angeles Poverty Department); The Center for Land Use Interpretation; and the LA River Revitalization Project.
Optional Overnight Field Trip: Palm Springs
Work Placement Opportunities
- Work and network with industry leaders
- Get behind the scenes with tours and hands-on workshops
- Create a production to share your knowledge
Eligibility criteria and how can I apply?
- Priority will be given to 4th year Cinema and Media Arts students. Other AMPD and York students will be considered with permission from Prof. Ken Rogers (LA summer course instructor). Apply and express interest through this online form https://yorku.moveonca.com/form/63d95ee7f84d15307d339db5/eng
- Note: Students graduating before July 2023, may consider registering as a non-degree York student. See details on this page https://registrar.yorku.ca/enrol/nondegree
I am interested in LA placement opportunities, how do I go about this?
- Exposure and connections with film and media organizations in LA is embedded in the summer course through guest lectures, study visits and discussions with professionals in the industry. If you’re interested in additional LA internship/placement opportunities, please connect with Prof. Ken Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also indicate this in your application form.
Course dates and schedule
- The FILM 3375 LA Summer Course will be organized in Los Angeles, California on May 30th to June 30th. Details of course schedule (classes, study trips, etc.) will be available soon.
|$4,100 - $4,200
Subject to change, program fees will depend on the final number of participants
Program fees include:
- Shared accommodation
- Study trips, excursions, field activities
- Welcome reception
- Airfare to and from Los Angeles
- Tuition fees (payable to York University)
- Any personal expenses
- guard.me® Health Insurance
- Travel insurance
Additional trips: these overnight trips include the cost of transportation, boarding, and educational activities such as museum visits.
All participants of this course will receive the York International Mobility Award (YIMA) upon completion of the Pre-Departure Training and Travel Risk Requirements.
Taking a full course load in the summer (6.0 credits) qualifies you for Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
What are next steps?
- Apply: https://yorku.moveonca.com/form/5ea8459ef97708044a7b6653/eng
- Upon acceptance/confirmation from Prof. Ken Rogers:
- Program fee deposit of $500 by February 2023
- Pay course tuition and apply for OSAP
- Program fee final installment by March 2023
PLEASE NOTE: You do not need to come to York International Office. All payments will be conducted online. We only accept Visa and Mastercard. No cash or cheques.
What are the costs to participate?
- Program fees: This includes shared accommodation at Emerson College, lectures from partner faculty/industry experts, study trips, excursions, field activities and welcome Reception.
- Other costs (not included in program fees): tuition/course fees, airfare to and from Los Angeles, Guard.Me insurance and travel insurance, meals and other personal expenses. Note: Course fees (tuition) are paid to the Registrar’s Office just like how you would register for any other York course. Some domestic students may be eligible for OSAP, please review relevant links below.
- York course fees https://sfs.yorku.ca/fees/courses
- OSAP page https://osap.yorku.ca/how-to-apply-for-osap-aid-for-the-summer-session
- Funding support: Students accepted to participate in the LA Summer Course are eligible for CAD500 York International Mobility Award (YIMA).
Where will students stay in LA (student accommodation)?
- York University is partnering with Emerson College to provide student accommodation for the duration of the FILM 3375 LA Summer Course. This will be a shared accommodation following safety guidelines.
Attending a Pre-Departure Session is mandatory for all YorkU students participating in faculty-led summer abroad programs. York International provides pre-departure training to York students who are scheduled to participate in global learning programs (exchange, internships and other short-term programs). Content covered at Pre-Departure Sessions include:
- Travel preparations (research about destination, flight, accommodation arrangements)
- Risk Management (waiver, emergency contact card, Registration of Canadians abroad)
- Guard.me® Insurance
- Funding and Finances
- Inter-cultural awareness
York Students traveling abroad for international programs are required to purchase Guard.me® insurance. To ensure safety and well-being of York students traveling abroad, York University has developed a partnership with Guard.me® Insurance. It provides comprehensive insurance coverage and benefits that are in the best interest of the students and the university at-large. Guard.me® covers medical, emergency, evacuation, and 3rd party liability, among others. Please read the guard.me® benefit summary for more information. Students must register directly with guard.me®.
More information on registration will be outlined in the link below.
Contact and Application
Deposits and Deadlines
Spots are limited! Please check back soon for application details!
For further information, please contact:
International Programs Coordinator, York International