Documents for Family Members


If your family members are going to live with you in Canada while you study at York, they  should apply for visitor status at the same time as you. Please see below for more information on necessary documents for family members.

Documents for Family

Spouse/Common-Law Partner Work Permits

  1. If family members are accompanying you in Canada, they require their own Canadian work permits if they wish to seek employment while you are enrolled full time in classes. They can apply for spouse/common-law partner open work permit from within Canada, after they have been admitted as visitors.
  2. The spouse/common-law partner open work permit will be issued for the same length of time as the student’s study permit.
  3. A job offer is not required for this work permit.

Permits for Dependent Children

Your school-age children (elementary or high school) do not require study permits; however, study permits rather than visitor records can make the immigration process run smoothly especially if your children enter Canada without a parent. When entering Canada, your children should bring with them two years of their official school records in English or with a certified English translation.

Extending Family Members' Immigration Documents

  1. All dependants (including children) requiring extension have to provide their own documents.
  2. Documents must be extended before the expiry date.
  3. You can apply to extend your study permit, work permit and all the documents of your family members online through My CIC (English/Français).
  4. Pay the appropriate fee for each family member.

Please visit the Immigration Specialist at York International for advising.


If you would like friends or family to visit you while you are studying at York University, you must send them a letter of invitation. York University does not provide letters of invitation. You must write it yourself.

Inviting Relatives to Visit

Instructions for a Letter of Invitation

A letter of invitation does not guarantee that a visa will be issued to your friend or family member. Visa Officers will assess each applicant to determine whether they meet the requirements of Canada’s immigration laws. Some visa offices may require that your letter be notarized by a Notary Public.

Here you will find information that will help you write a proper letter of invitation. For complete instructions, visit CIC’s site (English/Français).

Your letter of invitation must include all of the following information for the person being invited:

  • Complete name.
  • Date of birth.
  • The person’s address and telephone number.
  • Your relationship to the person being invited.
  • The purpose of the trip.
  • How long the person you are inviting intends to stay in Canada.
  • Details about the accommodation and living expenses.
  • The date the person you are inviting intends to leave Canada.

You must also include the following information about yourself:

  • Complete name.
  • Date of birth.
  • Address and telephone number in Canada.
  • Occupation.
  • Status in Canada (e.g. student, worker, Canadian citizen, permanent resident).*
Please Note:
If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident inviting your parents/grandparents to apply for a Super Visa of up to two years duration, you must include additional information in this letter. Visit Citizenship and Immigration’s website to learn more about the Super Visa requirements (English/ Français).

Sample Letter of Invitation

The Canadian Embassy, Immigration Section
Nueva Tajamar 481 – Piso 12, Torre Norte
P.O. Box 139-10
Edificio World Trade Center
Santiago, Chile.December 12, 2013Dear Visa Officer:

Re: Letter of invitation for my parents (Arturo and Gabriela)

I am writing this letter to support the visitor visa application of my parents. My father, Arturo Reyes, (born March 16, 1951) lives at Avenida Diego Bravo 12345, Departamento 222, Las Condes, Santiago, Region Metropolitana. My mother, Gabriela Reyes, (born July 2, 1953) lives with him. Their home phone number is 123-456-7890.They would like to visit me in Canada, as they haven't seen me in two years. They intend to stay with me at my home for two weeks, from March 1 to 14, 2014. They have a flight booked to leave Canada on March 15, 2014. Housing and food costs during their stay will be covered by me; they will cover all other costs for their trip.I am currently an international student, studying at York University. A copy of my passport and study permit is attached. My date of birth is August 19, 1993. I live at 123 Harwood Ave, Toronto, Ontario M5W 1E6 123. My phone number is 905-987-6543905-987-6543 and my email address is you in advance for the consideration of my parents' application.

Yours truly,
Marcos Reyes

Proof of Economic and Social Ties

Your visitor(s) must provide proof of economic and social ties to their home country as part of their application. The stronger the ties to their home country, the greater the chance they could successfully prove to an immigration officer that they will return to their home country after visiting Canada.

Economic ties include:

  • Bank statements.
  • Letters of employment.
  • Proof of business ownership.
  • Proof of financial investments.
  • Proof of property ownership.

Social ties include evidence that family members back home depend on them for financial/social support and that they must return home after their visit in order to meet these obligations.