Immigration Information Overview

Please click here for information about the recent US travel ban released on January 28th 2017.


While we strive to keep our information current, the most authoritative source for information pertaining to immigration will be found online at the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.


As international student, you are required to obtain certain documentation from the Canadian embassies, visa offices or consulates abroad to study in Canada. Because understanding another countries’ immigration system can be challenging, we are here to provide you with information that will help to make this process easier.


Three main documents to obtain to study in Canada: Passport, Visas, and Permits

Document Type:


When to Extend or Renew:

Passport An official document issued by the government of your country of citizenship, certifying your identity. It is used when travelling to and from foreign countries.
Must be valid for the duration of your time in Canada.
6 months before expiration date
Study Permit A study permit is a document that gives you permission to study in Canada on a temporary basis.  If you will be studying in Canada for more than six months, you require a valid study permit for the duration of your studies.
Study permits will become invalid 90 days after you have completed your program of study. Please Note: Study permits will only be issued to applicants studying at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). York University is a designated learning institution:
York University's Designated Learning Institute (DLI) Number is O19361109242 (O stands for Ontario).
2-3 months before expiration date

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)


eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization)

Depending on your citizenship, you may require a Temporary Resident Visa or eTA to enter Canada. As of November 10th, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals are required to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada.

Before or after expiration date, depending on your travel plans. Typically after the extension of a study permit or receiving a post-graduation work permit.

Note: do not leave Canada if your TRV has expired.

Immigration Assistance Before Arriving

Before you arrive, York International can assist you with your immigration questions:



Permanent Residence Options (coming soon)