Changes to Extended Health Care

Dear International Students:

As an international student, you are covered under 2 types of health insurance:

1. Basic health insurance, which is UHIP through York International
2. Extended health insurance, which is through your student union
For information regarding your coverage under UHIP and extended health plan, please visit:


In Ontario, Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents have basic health insurance through OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan). As of January 1, 2018, the government of Ontario has announced that anyone under 25 will be covered for prescriptions through the Ontario heath plan (OHIP). This new change to the plan is called OHIP+. Since you have UHIP instead of OHIP, your prescriptions will continue to be covered through your student union.

Undergraduate Students

The York Federation of Students in partnership with Green Shield Canada are working together to ensure that all students have access to their medical coverage. With the rise of OHIP+, pharmacists are instructed to ask for an Ontario Health Card (OHIP) if you are under 25 and receiving a prescription medication covered under the new plan. International students will be unable to take advantage of this plan as they do not hold Ontario Health Cards (OHIP). If you are experiencing any trouble filing claims for your prescriptions through Green Shield, please contact either Nabil Nazhat, YFS Health Plan Coordinator or Green Shield Canada directly and they will gladly make the necessary arrangements to alow you to have access to your medical coverage.
Contact Information:
Nabil Nazhat- YFS Health Plan Coordinator 
Phone: (416) 736-5324 ext. 70330
Website: dental/
Address: 106 Student Centre - 4700 Keele St
Toronto, ON, M3J1P3

Green Shield Canada
Phone: 1-888- 711-1119

Graduate Students

The Graduate Student Association works with ClaimSecure to provide graduate students with extended health insurance. If you are an international graduate student under the age of 25 and you have questions regarding your prescription coverage, please contact the Graduate Student Association.
Contact Information:
Phone: (416) 736-5213
Address: 325 Student Centre – 4700 Keele St Toronto, ON, M3J1P3