Visiting Lecturers

York welcomes visiting lecturers to Canada and to our university community. These scholars are global leaders in their field, and York is pleased to facilitate the international exchange of ideas and academic collaboration.

Before visiting lectures can begin their work at York, it is essential that their Canadian work permit and all related documentation is in order. Like many countries, the Government of Canada prioritizes the protection of domestic employment opportunities for its own citizens. Consequently, it can be difficult for foreign nationals to obtain a Canadian Work Permit.

Fortunately, if you are a Visiting Lecturer who is between 18 and 35 years old and is from a country with a bilateral agreement with Canada, you may be able to work in Canada under the International Experience Canada (IEC) program.

Apply for a Work Permit through the International Experience Canada (IEC) Program

There are 4 different categories of participants under the IEC program. Prospective visiting lecturers should apply under the Young Professionals category. If approved, you will be able to work for up to 18 months in Canada with a temporary Work Permit.

IEC Application Process:

  1. Verify on IEC's webpage if your country is included within this category.
  2. If your country has an agreement with Canada, you should then create your IEC Kompass account online.
  3. Next,  submit the required documents (including your job offer letter) via Kompass.
  4. If you are eligible for IEC, the online system will issue you an IEC Acceptance Letter. This document is required by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for your Work Permit application.
    Once you have obtained the IEC Acceptance Letter, you may apply for a Temporary Work Permit.

IEC Program for French Nationals

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has created specific programs allowing foreigners from certain countries to more easily obtain work permits. One of these programs is the  IEC Program for French NationalsYou are strongly encouraged to take advantage of this IEC program for your work permit application because simply applying for a work permit based on an agreement between the two universities is insufficient.