Quarantine Information for Fully Vaccinated International Travellers


Effective July 5 at 12:01am, international travellers entering Canada who are fully vaccinated (two doses) with a vaccine approved in Canada will no longer need to quarantine or take the Day 8 COVID test.

Fully vaccinated travellers will still need to provide authorities with quarantine plan in the event that they are not exempt from quarantine

For full details on travelling to Canada if you are fully vaccinated for COVID-19, please visit the Government of Canada website.  You are responsible for understanding and completing all of the necessary steps to be considered for exemption to quarantine for vaccinated travellers.

Step 1: Eligibility to enter Canada

Confirm whether you are eligible to travel

Beginning October 20, 2020, Immigration, Refugees Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced that international students are exempt from travel restrictions and are able to travel to Canada for their studies if they meet all requirements and have all authorizations for travel.

According to these current travel restrictions, to enter Canada as a student, you must meet 2 requirements:

  1. You must have a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit.*
  2. You must be attending a designated learning institution (DLI) with a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by its province or territory.**

*Stage 1 approval/AIP does not count as final approval.

**York University is on the list of designated learning institutions (DLIs) with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan. 

If you are in the School of Continuing Studies, please contact them directly at regscs@yorku.ca to arrange your quarantine accommodation.

Whether immediate family members can travel with you to Canada or join later

One [1] immediate family member may be able to travel with you to Canada if they have an essential reason (non-discretionary) reason for travel. Click here for more information. 

If an immediate family member wants to join you later, whether they require prior written authorization from IRCC depends on where they are traveling from. Click here for more information. 

Confirm whether you are qualify as fully vaccinated

Only those who have been fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved in Canada are currently eligible to be exempt from quarantine.

If you have a full dose schedule (usually two doses) of an approved vaccine, you will need to provide proof of vaccination and submit this to ArriveCAN before you travel.

For full details on what you need to know and do before you travel as a fully vaccinated traveller, please visit Canada's website on COVID-19 Vaccinated Travellers Entering Canada.

Ensure you meet all of the requirements as outlined by the federal government.

If you are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine not yet approved by Canada, you are not exempt from quarantine.


Step 2: Check if you are considered Fully Vaccinated in Canada

Check the Canadian government's website to see if the vaccine you received is approved in Canada.

If you are fully vaccinated with a Canadian-approved vaccine, you will still need to do the following:

  • Get a pre-departure COVID test 72 hours before your departure.
  • Prepare a quarantine plan and submit it on ArriveCAN before your departure.  Even if you are fully vaccinated, you must prepare and present a quarantine plan in case you receive a positive test result for your COVID test upon arrival in Canada or immigration deems you are not eligible for an exemption.
  • Submit your proof of vaccination to ArriveCAN before your departure.  Documents must be in English or French, or a certified translation into English or French.
  • As per August 9th, there is no longer required on-arrival testing, however, fully vaccinated travelers may be subject to randomly selected testing

If you will be living in York Undergraduate Residences

All students moving into the undergraduate residence buildings will be required to be vaccinated. Please see here for more information.

As a fully vaccinated traveler, you are still required to provide a quarantine plan. All students living in residence are instructed to chose the following option on the Travel to Canada/Quarantine Request Form.

"I am fully vaccinated with one of the Government of Canada approved vaccines. I am requesting backup quarantine for 14 days. (All fully vaccinated residence students must select this option). 

In the event that during your travel you are deemed not eligible for an exemption, you will be able to use your backup quarantine plan (hotel accommodation). Hotel details and an emergency number will be available via your Backup Quarantine Plan (provided to you by quarantine@yorku.ca).

If you will be living in York Apartments or off-campus

If you are moving into York Apartments or have a residence off-campus, you may proceed to your place of residence upon arrival to Canada.

If you are deemed not exempt upon arrival: Please follow all self-isolation requirements and any other instructions given to you upon entry to Canada by immigration/border officials.


Step 3: Before you travel to Canada

Confirm that you have the right documents

  1. You must have a valid study permit or proof of approval to come to Canada. If you only have an approval in principal/first-stage approval, you cannot yet travel.
  2. Your letter of acceptance from York University (new students only) and/or your letter of enrolment
  3. Proof of financial support (as  many documents as possible) - that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
  4. Your quarantine plan information (see "Step 3" below for more information).
  5. Entry support letter
    • Undergraduate students using York's full 14-day Quarantine Accommodation program: your entry support letter will be provided as part of your quarantine documentation package that you receive about 3-5 days before travel (see "Step 3" below for more information).
    • Undergraduate students choosing to quarantine at a location of their choice:  Please fill out the Quarantine Request Form and indicate you would like an entry support letter.
    • Graduate students: Please request this letter directly from your program/department.
    • School of Continuing Studies: Please request this letter directly from SCS at regscs@yorku.ca.

Take a COVID-19 test prior to departure

As of February 15, 2021, all travellers to Canada, with some exceptions, must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72 hours of your flight's departure or arrival at a land border.

If you are flying to Canada, see here for COVID-19 testing requirements for travellers

If you are driving to Canada, see here for COVID-19 testing requirements for travellers.

Register in advance for your COVID-19 arrival test

Flying to Canada: COVID-19 Testing for Travellers

Driving to Canada: COVID-19 Testing for Travellers

Download the ArriveCan mobile app & submit your proof of vaccination

According to IRCC, as of November 21, 2020 travellers entering Canada by air are required to provide mandatory travel and quarantine information using the ArriveCAN app, which includes:

    • Travel and contact information
    • Quarantine plan (you will need to answer a series of yes or no questions)
    • COVID-19 symptom self-assessment (both before you board your plane and each day of your 14 day quarantine)
    • IMPORTANT: You must submit the ArriveCAN information before you board your flight to Canada (we recommend at least 48 hours in advance) and you must confirm you’ve arrived at the address you provided for your quarantine location with 48 hours of your entry to Canada. Travellers who fail to submit the required information digitally before boarding their flight could be subject to enforcement action, which can range from verbal warnings to a $1,000 fine. 
    • Please review this website carefully to follow all instructions related to using the ArriveCAN app.
    • You must also submit a proof of vaccination in English or French (certified translations will be accepted) to ArriveCAN.
    • If your travel date has changed, you can make a new submission with your new travel dates/information.  ArriveCAN will accept your most recent submission as the correct one.


Step 4: Prepare your quarantine plan


Individuals who are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine approved in Canada will need to submit a back-up quarantine plan to ArriveCAN before their departure.

There are two options for Quarantine:

  1. Register for York's Quarantine program which includes a 14-day hotel quarantine stay.
  2. Self-arranged quarantine at a location of your choosing.

In both cases, please inform York of your arrival in Canada using the Travel to Canada/Quarantine Request Form.

York Quarantine Accommodation Program

For those who are fully vaccinated, you may use the 14-day plan for the back up plan that is required by the Federal government if you do not have self-arrangements that are deemed suitable. See here for more information.

York will continue to pay for the full 14-day quarantine period for those students who are undertaking essential travel, i.e.:

  • Students coming to study in Canada for the first time
  • Students who were not living in Canada/Toronto in Fall/Winter 2020-2021 and/or Summer 2021 and are now travelling to Canada for their studies.

Students who were in Canada for the Fall/Winter 2020-21 or Summer 2021 semesters and left Canada will be responsible for paying for their quarantine costs.

What you need to do: 

All York students, whether you choose to quarantine for the full 14-days in the York-designated hotel or you choose to arrange your own quarantine, must abide by all requirements of York's approved COVID-19 readiness plan for the duration of your quarantine.  This includes (but is not limited to):

  • Daily check-ins with a York staff member
  • Mandatory COVID testing as per federal, provincial and local health authorities.
  • Filing your quarantine plan with York (for those doing self-arranged quarantine)

Full requirements will be communicated with you once when you request quarantine accommodation or file your self-arranged quarantine plan with York.

Self-arranged quarantine

If you choose to arrange your own quarantine accommodation, please note the following:

  • What you need to do:
  • Additional requirements:
    • You must abide by the requirements of York's approved COVID-19 readiness plan. This includes (but is not limited to):
      • Daily check-ins with a York staff member
      • Mandatory post-quarantine COVID testing
      • Filing your quarantine plan with York (for those doing self-arranged quarantine)
      • Full requirements will be communicated with you once you file your self-arranged quarantine plan with York.

I have submitted one of the quarantine plan forms mentioned above to York, what happens next?

We are processing requests for quarantine accommodations in order of arrival dates. You will receive documents confirming your quarantine arrangements about 3-5 days before arrival.

If you do not receive an e-mail from us within 3 days of your arrival date, please contact quarantine@yorku.ca and mark the subject line “Traveling to Toronto on [DATE]”.

If your travel date changes or gets cancelled, please inform us by completing the Quarantine Change Form.

Once you enter Canada and are deemed exempt from quarantine

When you enter Canada and present all of your documents to the immigration officer, they will confirm if you are exempt from quarantine.  You will be able to proceed to your place of residence.

To cancel your quarantine reservation after entering Canada, please submit a Quarantine Change Form immediately.


Step 5: Arrival Information

What to expect at the airport or land border

According to IRCC, when the border services officer greets you, they look at several factors, including:

  • your reason for travelling to Canada
  • your ability to complete a 14-day quarantine period as soon as you arrive at your final destination
  • You will be asked to show your ArriveCAN receipt to a border services officer when seeking entry to Canada
  • if you either:
    • have time to complete your quarantine before you physically attend classes, or
    • can study online during your quarantine

A border services officer will make the final decision on whether you’re eligible to enter Canada when you arrive.

If you are not permitted entry to Canada, the quarantine documentation provided to you by York will contain an emergency contact number to speak with a designated member of York International to determine what, if anything, can be done. That said, please note that the final decision on whether you're eligible to enter Canada lies with the border services officer.

Even if you are exempt as of the date of reading this information, please check the travel restrictions again before you plan to return to Canada as they may change at any time. 

Please keep yourself up to date on relevant news on the coronavirus and travel advisories and restrictions both in Canada and in your home country.

What to expect for testing at the airport

As of August 9th, there will no longer be mandatory testing for fully-vaccinated travelers. Fully vaccinated travelers may be randomly selected for a COVID-19 test. If you are chosen, please follow instructions given to you by the border agent. See here for details.

For more information on what to expect upon entry, visit Canada's Covid vaccinated travellers entering Canada page.


Quarantine and Entry to Canada FAQs

Does the new quarantine exemption for fully vaccinated travellers apply to international students?


Effective July 5, fully vaccinated travellers do not have to quarantine when entering Canada.  You must have a full schedule (two doses) of a COVID-19 vaccine approved in Canada.

For more details, please visit Canada's Covid vaccinated travellers entering Canada page.

I was vaccinated in my home country and my proof of vaccination is not in English or French. What do I provide on ArriveCAN?

You must submit proof of vaccination to ArriveCAN before your departure.  This can be in English or French or a certified translation into English or French.

For more info on proof of vaccinations, visit the Government of Canada website.

I was fully vaccinated outside of Canada but I received a vaccine that has not been approved in Canada yet. Am I exempt from quarantine?

Currently, the exemption from quarantine is only for those who are fully vaccinated with one of the COVID-19 vaccines approved in Canada.  If you received a vaccine that is not yet approved in Canada, you will still be required to quarantine for 14 days.

I am outside of Canada, can I travel to Canada even though all my courses are online?

Yes. The fact that your studies are online do not prevent your entry to Canada. However, you must ensure that you meet the requirements indicated in the current travel restrictions, as explained above in Step 1 "Eligibility to enter Canada".

I'm travelling with dependents. Will York cover their quarantine as well?

York will cover your quarantine if you are a new degree student or if you were not living in Canada for Fall 2020, Winter 2021 or Summer 2021 and are returning to resume your studies.

If you have dependents travelling with you (spouse/partner, children), they may quarantine with you.  There will be additional costs that you will be responsible for paying:.

For the 14-day stay:
Additional person with hotel-provided meals:  $57/day per person plus applicable taxes
Additional person without hotel-provided meals:  $20/day per person plus applicable taxes

You will be responsible for paying for these fees upon check out.

All fees are subject to change without notice.

My friend and I are travelling from the same country. Can we quarantine together?

Individuals may quarantine together if they are from the same household and will be living together after quarantine.

If you were not living in the same household before travel, you will not be able to quarantine together, as per the federal Quarantine Act.

I'm fully vaccinated but I'm travelling with a child or dependent who is not yet vaccinated. Will I still need to quarantine?

I chose my Residence Move-in date based on a 14-day quarantine. If I'm exempt from quarantine, can I change my move-in date?

Please contact Housing for more information about changing your move-in date.

Can I bring my pet with me to quarantine?

No. The hotels York is working with do not accommodate pets.

If you have a service animal, please contact quarantine@yorku.ca

When does my UHIP coverage start?

If you are an international student who is registered as active in a degree program, you will be enrolled under UHIP within a week of arriving in Canada effective the date of your arrival. If you do not receive your UHIP card within the week, you may request it here.

Travel plans changed? If you decide to come to Canada at a later date or stay in your home country, please click here to update your travel plans so that your UHIP can also be updated.

For further information regarding UHIP, please visit https://yorkinternational.yorku.ca/uhip/.

I need a COVID test to return to my home country. Will UHIP cover my COVID test?

COVID Testing for Travel Outside Canada - Announcement by the Ontario Government

As of Dec 11, 2020, the Ontario government has announced that they will no longer cover COVID testing for outbound international travellers. This announcement can be found here. UHIP will also not cover COVID testing for outbound international travellers.

If you need a COVID test for travelling outside Canada, some pharmacies like Shoppers Drug Mart* and labs like LifeLabs* are offering these tests at a cost.  UHIP does not cover any COVID test expenses.

*NOTE: It is your responsibility to check with your airline to confirm the COVID testing requirements for your flight.

I did a COVID test to enter Canada. Do I need to take another one after quarantine?

No, fully vaccinated travellers are exempt from the Day 8 COVID test.

My travel plans have changed. How should I let York U know?

Please fill out the Quarantine Change Form.