|Instructor: Dr. Willem Maas email@example.com||Prerequisites? None|
|Course Dates: August 10- 27, 2020 (plus prior orientation & course preparation)||Open to Non-Majors? Yes, but priority given to Political Science Majors|
Interested in European politics and policies? This intensive summer course fosters an understanding of political, social, and economic transformations in the EU by focusing on one of the original six member states, the Netherlands. Through lectures, meetings with policymakers, and study tours of Dutch and EU institutions, this course takes a ground-level perspective on Europeanization from The Hague, Maastricht, Brussels and Rotterdam. Students will also be able to visit museums and other cultural activities.
- Study tours of Dutch and European Institutions
- Meetings with policymakers and experts in Dutch and European politics
- Visits to the Freedom Memorial and the Groesbeek War Cemetery
- Museum tours and cultural activities
Expression of Interest
This political science summer abroad course is open to non-majors and requires an application which includes:
- Student Number
- List of courses taken and grades received (unofficial transcript)
- Statement explaining why you are interested in this course
Please send your application to Professor Willem Maas before February 14, 2020.
Program fee: Summer 2020 Fees TBA
- Accommodation & some meals
- Study trips, Excursions, Field activities (inclusive of local transport)
- Guard.me® Health Insurance
Does not Include:
- Airfare to and from the Netherlands
- Tuition fee (payable to York University)
- Any personal expenses
*Subject to change, program fees will depend on the final number of participants
All York participants of this course will receive the York International Mobility Award (YIMA) upon completion of the Pre-Departure Training and Travel Risk Requirements.
To secure a spot in this course, you'll need to submit a non-refundable deposit of $500 to York International (Located in 200 York Lanes, Mon-Fri 9am-4pm).
- Deposit ($500): February 21, 2020
- Outstanding program fee: April 2020
PLEASE NOTE: We only accept Visa, Mastercard, and debit. No cash or cheques.
Pre-Departure Training and Risk Management Information Session
Attending a Pre-Departure Session is mandatory for all YorkU students participating in the GL/POLS 4400. York International provides pre-departure training to York students who are scheduled to participate in global learning programs (exchange, internships and other short-term programs).
Content covered at Pre-Departure Sessions include:
- Travel preparations (research about destination, flight, accommodation arrangements)
- Risk Management (waiver, emergency contact card, Registration of Canadians abroad)
- guard.me® Insurance
- Funding and Finances
- Inter-cultural awareness
York Students traveling abroad for international programs are required to purchase guard.me® insurance.To ensure safety and well-being of York students traveling abroad, York University has developed a partnership with guard.me® Insurance. It provides comprehensive insurance coverage and benefits that are in the best interest of the students and the university at-large. Guard.me® covers medical, emergency, evacuation, and 3rd party liability, among others. Please read the guard.me® benefit summary for more information. Students must register directly with guard.me®.
More information on registration will be outlined in the link below.
Please continue to check in for more information about Summer 2020.
For further information, please contact:
Go Global Project Assistant, York International