University Health Insurance Plan
Medical services in Ontario, including physician fees and emergency visits at a hospital, can be very expensive. UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan) is a mandatory basic coverage plan that helps cover these expenses. Students who must be covered under UHIP include:
- International students with a valid study permit who are registered as active in a degree program
- Incoming exchange students
- Dependent(s), spouse and/or children, of eligible students
- International Visiting Research Trainees with a valid work permit
- Undergraduate and graduate international students with a valid study permit who are registered as active in a degree program
- Domestic students without OHIP (3 month waiting period)
- Exchange students
- International Visiting Research Trainees
- Dependents (spouse and children) of the above eligible members of the plan
UHIP covers up to $1,000,000 CAD per policy year for the cost of eligible medically necessary health services and medical treatments within Canada including:
- Physician fees
- One annual eye examination for students under the age of 20 and over the age of 65
- Lab services
For details regarding your UHIP coverage, click here.
UHIP does not cover the following services:
- Prescription drugs
- Dental care
- Vision care
- Eye examinations for students between the ages of 20 to 65
- Any services not included in the UHIP policy
Note: You are most likely covered for these services through your student association.
- If you are an undergraduate student, you will be covered through York Federation of Students (YFS): http://www.yfs.ca/health-and-dental/.
- If you are a graduate student and not a TA, you will be covered through Graduate Student Association (GSA): http://www.yugsa.ca/health-plan.html
- If you are a graduate student and a TA, you will be covered through the pensions and benefits: https://3903.cupe.ca/benefits-plan/
UHIP covers very minimal expenses outside Canada. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you purchase travel insurance for the duration of your stay in the other country. Please click here for more information.
The UHIP premium is $51 per month per person.* For details click here.
Once you are enrolled in UHIP, your UHIP fees will appear on your student account. When you see the charges on your student account, you will be responsible for the outstanding balance. Payment for UHIP fees is made the same way you pay for tuition. For more information on how and when to pay, please visit: https://sfs.yorku.ca/fees/your-student-account/how-and-when-to-pay
Eligible undergraduate and graduate international students: You will be automatically enrolled and charged. Once you are enrolled, you will receive an email with instructions on how to get access to your UHIP card.*
Exchange students: You will be automatically enrolled and charged. Once you are enrolled, you will receive an email with instructions on how to get access to your UHIP card.*
*Fall: You will receive an email around early to mid September
*Winter: You will receive an email around early to mid January
*Summer: You will receive an email around early to mid May
NOTE: You do NOT need to notify us if you are arriving before your classes start. Please wait until the timeline listed above before letting us know if you have not received an email.
International Visiting Research Trainees: You will need to come in to York International along your invitation letter and work permit to apply.
One of two scenarios may apply to you:
- Your dependent(s) have just arrived in Canada and need to be enrolled in UHIP coverage:
- In this case, you are required to come in to York International during the drop-in hours, which can be found here. You must bring with your dependent(s)’ passports and permits (study, work or visitor) along with you.
- You must come in to York International within 30 days of your dependent(s)’ arrival in Canada otherwise a late fee of $500 will apply
- Your dependent(s) were covered under your UHIP last year and you need to renew their coverage:
- In this case, you are required to fill out an application form and either send it to us via email or drop it off in person during the UHIP drop-in hours. The application form can be found here
- Note: UHIP coverage must be continuous. If there is a gap in coverage, the application form will be the same as new dependent(s)
NOTE: You must be enrolled in UHIP before your dependent(s) can be added. Therefore, your dependent(s)' application will only be accepted after your coverage has been renewed/added. You will receive an email once your UHIP coverage has been renewed/added.
Eligible undergraduate and graduate international students:
|Fall Start||Winter Start||Summer Start|
|September 1 – August 31 (12 months)||January 1 – August 31 (8 months)||May 1 – August 31 (4 months)|
|Fall Only||Winter Only||Fall and Winter|
|September 1 – December 31 (4 months)||January 1 – April 30 (4 months)||September 1 – April 30 (8 months)|
NOTE: Your effective date of coverage will officially begin on the 1st of September, January or May depending on when your semester starts. However, you are also covered for up to 20 days prior to this date. For example, if you arrive on or after August 10, you will be covered under UHIP. You will not have your UHIP card until early September; however, if you need to visit a doctor between the day you arrive (after August 10) and September 1, you can either come to see us at York International or make an upfront payment at the clinic or hospital and file a claim. Please see examples below:
|Example||Effective Date||Arrival in Canada||Start of UHIP Coverage|
|1||September 1||August 5||August 10*
*You will need to purchase private insurance for August 5th to August 10th
|2||September 1||August 15||August 15|
|3||January 1||December 3||December 10
*You will need to purchase private insurance for December 3rd to December 10th
International Visiting Research Trainees:
UHIP coverage begins the date of your arrival in Canada and ends on the last day of the month in which you finish your research.
Dependents (spouse and children) of the above eligible members of the plan:
- New dependents: UHIP coverage begins on the date of the dependent(s)’ arrival
- Renewed dependents: UHIP coverage must be continuous. Therefore, coverage start must be September 1st
In order to be covered under UHIP during your leave of absence, an approval must be granted at least one month prior to taking the leave of absence. Therefore, you are required to contact the UHIP Administrator at least one month prior to taking the leave.
Your UHIP coverage may be continued for a maximum of four months in a 12 month period. For a maternity or paternity leave of absence, your UHIP coverage may be continued for a maximum of 12 months.
You may be able to extend your UHIP coverage depending on when you graduate.
- October Convocation: You are eligible to extend your UHIP coverage only once for up to 4 months (Sept-Dec). You will need to visit us at York International to apply for an extension.
- June Convocation: You are not eligible to extend your UHIP coverage. However, if your coverage card expires on August 31st, your coverage will remain until that date.
One of the following scenarios may apply to you:
- Your UHIP card will be emailed to your my.yorku email address.
- If do not receive an email at your my.yorku email address, you will be emailed instructions at your personal email address from York International on how to register and access your UHIP card. Please read and follow these instructions very carefully. This will give you an access ID and password so that you may access your UHIP card at any time. The instructions can be found here, as well.
- If you did not receive any emails from York International regarding your UHIP, please wait a few weeks after your classes start. If you have not received anything from us by then, please contact us.
**You must print your UHIP card and keep it with you at all times, in case of an emergency**
If your account gets suspended or you are having technical difficulties and are unable to log onto your mysunlife.ca account, you must contact Sun Life at 1-866-500-8447.
Please note the UHIP card is not an actual card, it is a copy of your proof of coverage. A sample of the UHIP proof of coverage is shown below:
You need to present your a paper copy of your UHIP card when you go see a doctor at a clinic or hospital (electronic copy will not be accepted). Please note that even if you have a card, some clinics do not accept UHIP card and you will have to pay upfront and file a claim.
A preferred provider network (clinics, hospitals and labs that accept the UHIP card) is available to you for a list of clinics, hospitals and labs that accept the UHIP card. This list can be found here.
A list of clinics, hospitals and labs nearest to the Keele campus can be found here: Nearest Clinics for UHIP - Keele Campus
A list of clinics, hospitals and labs nearest to the Glendon campus can be found here: Nearest Clinics for UHIP - Glendon Campus
If did not visit a preferred provider (clinic/hospital), you will have to pay the clinic/hospital and file a claim with Sun Life in order to get reimbursed. You will need to have them fill out part of the claim form, so make sure you take the form with you before you visit. The claim form can be found here
For more information on how to file a claim and to access the claim form online, click here. You may also come in to York International to pick up a form.
NOTE: Sun Life will assess your receipts and reimburse up to 125% of the OHIP procedure code. Depending on how much the clinic/hospital charges you, there may be some out-of-pocket costs. Therefore, it is recommended that you visit a preferred provider to avoid these costs (please see the UHIP card section for a list of preferred providers).
You are eligible to apply for a refund for one of the following reasons:
|Reason for refund||Deadline to submit refund request*|
|You withdrew from your program before March 1st||March 1st|
|You completed your program and will have your convocation in February||March 1st|
|You or your dependent(s) have left Canada before March 1st||March 1st|
|You have been granted a UHIP exemption||August 15th|
|Your status has changed and are now eligible for OHIP**||July 31st|
* The deadline dates are based on each academic year.
** For examples on how refunds are calculated due to OHIP, please see examples in the question "How can I get a refund for one of the above reasons?" below.
You must submit your refund request along with the appropriate documents (ex. Copy of OHIP card) as soon possible in order to receive the maximum eligible refund. Click here to submit a refund request.
Refunds are calculated starting the 1st of the following month that you notify the administrator. Please see examples of refund calculations below:
- Your UHIP became effective September 1st and you become eligible for OHIP on October 20th. You send the refund request with a copy of your OHIP card on October 25th. You are eligible for a refund of UHIP premiums from November 1st onwards.
- Your UHIP became effective September 1st and you became eligible for OHIP on August 28th. You send an email to the UHIP office with a copy of your OHIP card on September 10th. You are eligible for a full refund of UHIP premiums since you became eligible for OHIP before your classes started.
- Your UHIP became effective January 1st and you become eligible for OHIP on April 22nd. You send an email to the UHIP office with a copy of your OHIP card on May 2nd. You are eligible for a refund of UHIP premiums from June 1st onwards.
- You are enrolled in UHIP from September 1st to August 31st. You will graduate at the end of June and are requesting a refund for July and August. No refund is applicable as refunds are not available for the scheduled breaks between terms.
- You are enrolled in UHIP from September 1st to August 31st and have been approved for a UHIP exemption. You send the refund request on October 16th. You filed a UHIP claim which was paid out on October 8th. The refund amount is calculated from November to August and UHIP coverage is terminated as of October 9th.
- You are enrolled from September 1st to August 31st and withdraw from your program on January 16th. You submit your refund on March 25th. No refund is applicable as the request was received after March 1st and is not eligible.
Deadline to withdraw from courses and receive a full UHIP refund:
|Effective date of Coverage (UHIP start date)||Deadline to receive a full UHIP refund*|
|September 1st||September 15th|
|January 1st||January 12th|
|May 1st||May 11th|
- No refund amount is paid in respect of months in which claims have been paid or for any months prior to the last month for which any claim was paid. These months would be considered covered months.
- You are not eligible to receive any refund of your UHIP premium for scheduled breaks between terms, if this is the only period for which you are applying for a refund.
- You must submit a refund request with the documentation every academic year in order to be considered for a UHIP refund for that year
UHIP is mandatory for those who are eligible. In order to be exempted from UHIP, Sun Life must approve an exemption.
A list of pre-approved alternate plans can be found here. If your alternate plan is on this list, you must submit proof of coverage in order to receive refund of UHIP premiums.
If your alternate coverage is not on this list, you may apply for an exemption directly through Sun Life. The exemption form can be found here. You must complete the form, follow the instructions in section 3 and email the form and documents to email@example.com.
NOTE: The exemption request must be submitted by the following deadlines:
|Effective date of Coverage (UHIP start date)||Exemption Request Submission Deadline|
|September 1st||October 15th|
|January 1st||February 15th|
|May 1st||June 15th|
*If your effective date of coverage is different from the dates above, the exemption request must be submitted within 45 days of the effective date. Deadlines are based on each academic year.
Who can I contact for further information?
The contact information for UHIP inquiries is as follows:
NOTE: Always include your student number when emailing us
UHIP Drop-in hours:
NOTE: Drop-in hours are subject to change
200 York Lanes