Immigration Information

While we strive to keep our information current, the most authoritative source for information pertaining to immigration will be found online at the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.


As international student, you are required to obtain certain documentation from the Canadian embassies, visa offices or consulates abroad to study in Canada. Because understanding another countries’ immigration system can be challenging, we are here to provide you with information that will help to make this process easier.

Three main documents to obtain to study in Canada: Passport, Study Permits, and Visas


Your passport is an official document issued by the government of your country of citizenship, certifying your identity. It is used when travelling to and from foreign countries.
Must be valid for the duration of your time in Canada. Extend or renew this document 6 months before the expiration date.

Study Permit

A study permit is a document that gives you permission to study in Canada on a temporary basis.  If you will be studying in Canada for more than six months, you require a valid study permit for the duration of your studies. Study permits will become invalid 90 days after you have completed your program of study. Please Note: Study permits will only be issued to applicants studying at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). York University is a designated learning institution: York University's Designated Learning Institute (DLI) Number is O19361109242 (O stands for Ontario). Extend or renew this document 2-3 months before expiration date.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization)

Depending on your citizenship, you may require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or eTA to enter Canada. As of November 10th, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals are required to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Extend or renew this document before OR after expiration date, depending on your travel plans. Typically after the extension of a study permit or receiving a post-graduation work permit. Note: DO NOT leave Canada if your TRV has expired.

Are you under 18? 

International students under 18 years old coming to Canada may require legal guardian or custodian. According to IRCC, custodian may or may not be needed for minor between 17 and 18 years old. It is at the discretion of an immigration officer who processes yours study permit application. Please click here for information about custodian for minor international students studying in Canada.

Please note that York University is not able to act as custodian for any international students due to legal liabilities. You may want to seek advise from legal professionals in Toronto.

Immigration Advising

York International can assist you with your immigration questions: