Mitacs Internships & Awards
Mitacs is the primary administrator of the Globalink Research Internship Program.
Mitacs posts call for submissions in the summer e.g. call for submissions for Summer 2019 is posted in Summer 2018. All application processing is handled by Mitacs.
Mitacs has made changes to procedures supporting Globalink Research Interns through their immigration process. Under the new Global Skills Strategy, highly qualified researchers entering Canada for fewer than 120 days will be able to enter Canada in a more streamlined way. Specifically, the following changes apply:
- Interns will not need to apply for a Work Permit.
- Interns will still need to apply for a visa or an eTA, in most cases
- Mitacs's Award Letter will contain all the information that the intern will require to demonstrate eligibility when they undergo border inspection at the time of entering Canada
- Universities and professors do not need to provide any additional documentation or support
- Note: Interns cannot remain in Canada for more than 120 days, cannot extend their stay once they are in Canada and those who have used the Global Skills Strategy Work Permit exemptions in the last 6-12 months will not be eligible.
Mitacs will hire and train mentors who are responsible for providing health, safety and social support to GRIs during their time in Canada.
Mitacs communicates directly with Global Research Interns and university faculties and departments regarding any changes or updates to the program.
- Global Research Intern Resources:
Pre-arrival resources and information for selected interns can be found here.
As Global Research Interns (GRIs) are officially employed by Mitacs, primary assistance is provided through their coordination. GRIs, professors and departments should contact Mitacs directly regarding any questions concerning the details of the internship.
York International is delighted to welcome the Mitacs Global Research Interns!
As the central international office at York University, York International in collaboration with Mitacs ensures that GRIs are welcomed, supported and engaged during their time in Canada.
Please see below for information on services that are pertinent to GRIs during their time at York University:
- Student Numbers:
York International collaborates with the Admissions Office for issue of a York University student number for each GRI. Once the student numbers have been processed, they will be passed on to the mentors.
- Health Insurance:
York International administers the health insurance program (UHIP) however, as of Summer 2018 GRIs will no longer be required to enroll in UHIP. GRIs will be covered under Guardme as prepared by Mitacs. Any questions about GRI Guardme coverage should be addressed to the Mitacs contact.
- Activities and Events:
York International hosts various activities and events year round. Please click here to see the York International calendar for upcoming events.
Global Research Interns (GRIs)
Once you arrive at York University, you will:
- Receive an orientation to the York University campus and Toronto provided by your assigned mentor.
- Contact your faculty advisor with assistance from your mentor.
- Visit the York International office at 200 York Lanes accompanied by your mentor to inform us of your arrival on campus, to collect your welcome letter and your student ID.
It is important to remember that your assigned mentor is your first point of contact should you encounter any issues. The mentor is responsible for assisting you with general transition and will also be your emergency contact during your stay.
GRIs should also review the Global Research Intern Handbook for GRI checklists, timelines and other general questions.
Mitacs is accepting applications for competitive international research opportunities for student travel from Canada. We recommend that students apply by May 2018 for travel planned in Fall 2018.
The Globalink Research Award provides $6,000 for senior undergraduate and graduate students to undertake research projects abroad. Projects last 12–24 weeks and all disciplines are eligible.
New destinations include:
European Union member countries
The full list of destinations is available on our website, along with resources for finding a professor abroad, suggested application timelines, and other program information.
If you have any questions, contact Mitacs International at email@example.com.
- GRIs can search for on campus housing options through York University Housing Services.
- Off campus housing is also available around the General Toronto Area and close to York Univerisity.
Trips and Travel
GRIs are welcome to join trips and tours offered by ISX Canada. Trips are offered within Canada and the United States and can be booked via the ISX/York International page.
During your stay in Canada and at York University, York International encourages you to remain safe and be aware of your safety and security options as offered by York Security Services. We also encourage you to download the YorkU Safety App and familiarize yourself with the various security contacts.