Labor Disruption at York University

As of Monday March 5th, 2018, a labor disruption is ongoing at York University.

The union representing teaching assistants, contract faculty and graduate assistants and York University have been meeting intensively to reach a settlement in the new agreement since September 2017. As no settlement has been reached, the CUPE voted in support of strike action.

York University is making every effort to minimize the impact on our students and to ensure services and support during the labor disruption. Students, visitors, and staff are encouraged to visit the regularly for updates about the labor disruption.

Understanding the challenges and impact you may encounter as an international student, York International is here to support you. Below is a list of important information you should pay attention to as an international student.

International Student FAQs

As of April 13, 2018, a new international FAQs page is availabe to students to answer their questions and concerns. To find the FAQs, please follow the link here.

**Information is subject to change.


If you are concerned that the labor disruption may affect your immigration status as an international student such as your Study Permit, Off-campus Work Permit, Post-graduate Work Permit, travel plan etc., please email or visit the Immigration Specialist during the advising hours.

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

If you are concerned that the labor disruption may affect your UHIP coverage, please email or visit the UHIP Administrator during the drop-in hours.

Financial Issues

If you have any questions regarding your financial situation, Tuition Credit Opportunity, and Additional Bursary Support etc., please click here. You may also contact the Student Financial Services at 416-872-9675. For graduate students, please contact the Office of Faculty of Graduate Studies at

New International Students

All university admission applications will continue to be processed as usual. New international students should check the visa processing time at your local Canadian Visa Office/Embassy, and apply for your student visa early to avoid delay. If you have any question regarding your acceptance to York University, please email: If you have any question regarding your initial study permit application, please email Due to the deferred start date of the summer 2018 semester, York International has planned a list of activities for students arriving early. We also have fun trips offered by ISX, you can pick up a flyer at 200 York Lanes.

Summer Abroad & Internship

If you have any questions related to the York International Summer Abroad program, please email If  you have questions related to York International Internship, please email email

Exchange Students

If you have any question related to the York International Exchange Program, please contact York International. For In-bound Exchange Students, please email For Outbound Exchange Students, please email


Housing services for both undergraduate residences and York Apartments will continue to operate as normal. If you have any questions regarding on-campus accommodation during the labor disruption, please contact Residence Life and the Housing Office.

Counselling Services

If you're concerned about completing your studies and experiencing stress, please contact Student Counselling and Development Office.

Student Activities

There will be various events and activities for you to participate in during the labor disruption. Please visit the York International Event Calendar, Residence Life website, Athletics and Recreation website,and Career Center with updated events and workshops for international students.

Contact York International

York International remains open Monday to Friday from 8:30am – 4:30pm with full service and operation during the labor disruption. You can contact us via the following channels:



(416) 736-5177


200 York Lanes