Who is an International Visiting Research Trainee (IVRT)
International Visiting Research Trainees (IVRTs) are:
- Registered full-time students in a degree program at an institution outside of Canada.
- Visiting York for a limited time period, usually between one and twelve months.
- Spend this period of time performing research under the guidance of a York University hosting Faculty member.
- Not registered or registering in courses or enrolled in a program for credit at York University nor
pursuing a joint or dual degree in which one of the partners is York University.
If you do not fall into the International Visiting Research Trainee (IVRT) category,
please click here to see which other visitor category you may fall into.
A. If you are being invited by a faculty member from the York University Glendon campus, please
kindly click here and follow the application process for visiting scholar at Glendon.
B. If you are applying for Global Affairs Canada (GAC) Scholarship program, please contact: Beth Alaksa, Coordinator of International Mobility Programs, York International at 416-736- 2100 ext.77623 or email: email@example.com
What Should I do as an International Visiting Research Trainee (IVRT) at York University?
There are three major steps to follow if you meet the criteria listed above and are
interested in becoming an IVRT at York:
- Contact a Faculty member who is willing to host and supervise you during your visit as an IVRT to York University;
- Obtain a signed IVRT invitation letter from the inviting Faculty member;
- Submit a completed IVRT application to York International via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A complete IVRT application includes:
- IVRT Application Form
- Proof of full time enrolment from home institution
- Proof of English proficiency from home institution, AND
- IVRT Invitation Letter from the inviting faculty (please use the template provided).
Tips to avoid delay:
- Documents issued from home institution in other language should be translated in English.
- The IVRT application and invitation letter must be completed with ALL required signatures including that of the Associate Dean of Research, the hosting faculty member, etc. Please leave the Signature of the Vice President, Students blank at the time of the application.
If your visit at York University is less than 120 days:
You may qualify for the Work Permit Exemption under the Canada’s Global Skills Strategy Policy. Please consult with your local Canadian Visa Office to find out whether you are eligible for the work permit exemption.
- If you are exempted from applying for a work permit, please ensure that you obtain a valid Visitor Visa or eTA for your visit to Canada.
- If you have to apply for a work permit, please review the section below for information of work permit application.
If your visit at York University is more than 120 days:
You are required to apply for a work permit whether you are paid or not.
1) Step for the inviting faculty - Offer of Employment & Employer's Compliance Fee to IRCC
Before you can apply for your work permit, your inviting faculty at York U (the employer) must submit an
Offer of Employment and pay a compliance fee CAD$230 via the electronic portal via the IRCC website,
and receive an employer ID number upon completion. You will have to include this number into your
work permit application. For each faculty at York there is a designated administrative support person for
this task. Please click the IVRT Faculty Contacts for the designated contact person for each faculty. Your inviting faculty
member can connect with the designated person directly for submission of the offer of employment and
2) Step for IVRT - Work Permit Application
Apply for a work permit at your local Canadian visa office/embassy or Visa Application Center (VAC).
- Click here to find out to which visa office you could submit your work permit application.
- Click here for more information about work permit application.
Don’t forget to include the employer ID number in your work permit application.
- IVRTs arriving in Canada without valid immigration documentation may NOT be allowed to enter
the country. Please ensure that you comply with the work permit requirement set out by IRCC.
- Work Permit requirement may vary depending on the IVRT's professional background and qualification. Please consult with your local Canadian Visa Office/Embassy/High Commission for details. If you are required a work permit, you should start the preparation of the work permit application at least 3 months prior to your visit at York University.
- Submitting a work permit application does not guarantee issuance of a work permit. The Canadian Visa office/Embassy/High Commission overseas is the only authority that makes decision on the application.
- Obtain your official York admission letter
- Register for health insurance (UHIP) for yourself and your accompanying dependents (if applicable)
There are also fees associated with your IVRT status as noted below. All charges will appear on your student account. Please see payment instruction here.
|FEES TO YORK UNIVERSITY||FEES TO IRCC|
|IVRT administrative fee: $300 (one-time payment*)||Employer Compliance fee (paid by the hosting faculty): $230|
|University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)**: $52/month||Work permit application fee (paid by the IVRT participant): $155|
*Returning IVRT is not required to pay this fee
**Subject to change
Frequently Asked Questions - International Visiting Research Trainee (IVRT)
For application details please refer to: yorkinternational.yorku.ca/international-visiting-
IVRT applications usually take 4-6 weeks to process. It is recommended that you submit the
IVRT application 2-3 months prior to your visit at York University to avoid delay.
- International Visiting Research Trainee Form
- Letter of Invitation to be completed by inviting faculty
- Proof of Full Time Enrolment – letter issued by your home institution confirming your
enrollment. This letter should be issued in either English or French, printed on official
letterhead, and dated within the last six months.
- Proof of English Proficiency – letter issued by your home institution confirming that your
English ability is sufficient for your visit at York University. This letter should be issued in
either English or French, printed on official letterhead, and dated within the last six
months. An official language test (i.e. TOEFL or IELTS) result is also acceptable.
Submit all completed documents to the Immigration Specialist at York International via
Once all required documents are submitted, it typically takes 4-6 weeks of receipt of a
complete application for the application to be processed.
According to Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada regulations, foreign nationals
who are performing activities in the definition of work must apply for a work permit. Please
contact your local Canadian visa office or embassy to confirm the necessity for a Work
Permit before applying. Please note that entering Canada without proper immigration
documentation may result in immediate deportation.
IVRTs will not be enrolled in any classes during their visit at York U, and therefore a Study
Permit would NOT be applicable.
Q8: What type of support does York International provide the International Visiting Research Trainee?
- York International provides assistance and answers questions that you may have about
coming to York University as an International Visiting Research Trainee.
- York International connects with hosting faculty members and faculty executives to
facilitate the IVRT application.
- York International connects with hosting faculty members and faculty executives to provide assistance in IVRT’s work permit application.
- York International contacts IRCC for updated immigration requirements for IVRTs.
- York International administers enrolment in the University Health Insurance Plan
The Administrative Fee is paid to cover the University administration cost. The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) fee is paid to cover the mandatory health insurance during your visit at York University.
Due to liabilities, the University is required to ensure that all non-Canadian students and
visitors enroll in an approved insurance plan. The University Health Insurance Plan provides
better coverage than most temporary insurance plans.
No. UHIP is mandatory for IVRTs. If you are an IVRT at York University then you will be
required to sign up for UHIP.
- For on campus housing options refer to: studenthousing.info.yorku.ca/yorkapts/
- For off campus housing options there are a variety of websites that cater to short term housing. Refer to: www.places4students.com/ (note that this is a recommendation and not the only option available).
- For other general information on accommodation refer to
Once you receive your York ID number, you can obtain your YU Card at 200 William Small
Centre. Your YU Card allows you access to various facilities on campus. For more
information on the YU Card refer to: yucard.info.yorku.ca/
You primary contact during your stay at York University is the hosting faculty member who
invited you to York University.
Frequently Asked Questions – Faculty Members
Q1: I am interested in bringing in a graduate or PhD student from another country to perform
research. What are my options?
If you apply through York International, you can assist the student to come to York University
as an International Visiting Research Trainee. Refer to the following link for details:
York International is the central office at York University for international students,
scholars and visitors and is therefore required to keep track of all incoming international
students, scholars and visitors for possible reporting to Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship
The protocols regarding who should sign the related application documents were approved
by the Provost Office as part of the creation of IVRT requirements.
Using the template invitation letter helps ensure that all the details about roles and
responsibilities of both the hosting faculty and the IVRT participant are delivered consistently. The
protocols regarding the Letter of Invitation were approved by the Provost Office as part of the
creation of IVRT requirements.
The hosting faculty will need to submit an Offer of Employment and to pay a Compliance fee
(CAD$230) to IRCC in order to support the work permit application of the IVRT. The hosting
faculty member should contact the designated person in your faculty (as per the table below)
who has the access to the IRCC portal for the submission of the Offer of Employment and the
|Environmental Studies||Paul Elliott|
|Graduate Studies||Kim Mclntyre|
|Lassonde School of Engineering||Paulina Karwowska-Desaulniers|
|LA&PS Research Support||Pat Ellis|
|Osgoode Hall Law School||Aneta Gasiorowska|
|Schulich School of Business||Franca Giovannoni|
|Science – Physics and Astronomy||Marlene Caplan|
|Science – Chemistry||Mary Mamais|
|Science – Biology||Patty Lindsay|
|Science – Maths and Stats||Ann-Marie Carless|
|Science – Science & Tech Studies||Libi Lancia|
|ORU – Chemisty & Mass Spectrometry||Nicole Chevannes-McGregor|