Go Global Pre-departure Training
York International provides pre-departure training and supports to York students who are scheduled to participate in global learning programs (exchange, internships and other short-term programs).
A. 2 types of Pre-departure sessions
1. York International Exchange Pre-departure Sessions (Spring 2018, date to be announced)
2. Pre-departure Sessions for all other programs based on requests to York International
For Winter short-term programs:
- October 20 from 2:00pm to 3:00pm
- November 13 from 1:00pm to 2:00pm
- Date TBC for Summer programs. Please continue checking this page for updates
Note: Students who have participated in either 1 or 2 will be included in the York International Emergency Contact Program.
B. Content covered at Pre-departure Sessions
1. Travel preparations (research about destination, flight, accommodation arrangements)
2. Risk Management (waiver, emergency contact card, Registration of Canadians abroad)
3. Travel and health insurance
4. Funding and Finances
5. Inter-cultural awareness
6. Academic Exchange (York International Exchange only)
C. Travel Safe
Review York International's Travel Safe webpage.
All students accepted to go on a York Exchange/Summer Abroad/York-facilitated global internship are required to come to the Pre-Departure Training Session in April. For 2018-19, the pre-departure session will be held on 24 April 2018.
D. Emergency Contact System
As a student going abroad, you will receive an Emergency Contact Card once you have registered for the program. This card includes information on how to contact York in case of an emergency while overseas. Details will be given at your Pre-Departure session.